Competition at HTDA
3-4 competitions per year
2-4 competitions per year
2-3 competitions per year
Competition Team Auditions:
2021-2022 Try-Outs | Saturday, May 22nd
Assigned schedules will be send out via email prior to auditions.
At High Temperature Dance Academy, competition is an opportunity to increase performance skills, encourage dancers to always try their best, practice responsibility and form new friendships as a team.
Dancers will be evaluated and placed where they best fit: including but not limited to – skill level, technique, professionalism, performance, showmanship, flexibility, endurance, etc.
- Ages: 5-18 (4 year with permission from instructor)
- Everyone is required to audition.
- Come prepared; dance clothes and appropriate shoes, hair tied back.
- Try-outs will be conducted like a class; full stretching, across the floor (like leaps, kicks, and turns), barre, and a short combination will be taught.
- Don't be nervous and have SO much fun! Learn and perform. Dancers with similar skills will be placed into the same group, and will be notified of placement by email
- The "team" placement does not mean that they aren't allowed to dance with other "team" members. It helps staff by simplifying groups by age and ability level, and gives the dancers something to work towards!
- The Competition Team Handbook and Team Contract will be sent to you after team placements.
Basic Team Requirements:
- Dancers participate in 2-4 competitions per year and dates are given at the competition meeting in August after teams and placements are made and finalized.
- All dancers are required to attend a fun group photo session this summer showcasing our NEW HTDA Competition Team for the upcoming year! Date TBA.
- All dancers are required to enroll in at least one ballet class, as well as a technique and flexibility class from September through May.
- All dancers are required to enroll in the Summer Technique and Flexibility class. Summer is a great time to improve your ballet technique and to work on new skills! This class is mandatory for students who will be involved with competition this coming year and is open to all others as well. You must attend 10 classes as a minimum – you are welcome to attend more than 10!
- All dancers are required to perform in our Winter Competition Showcase. This takes place the first weekend in February.
- Attendance. Dance and supporting your team will take first priority.
Competitions for the 2020/2021 Year:
February 26th-29th (Revolution - Des Moines)
March 5th-7th (Symposium - Cedar Rapids)
March 19th-21st (Nexstar - Davenport)